Monday 13 August 2012

"Please Sir (Alex), can we have some Moura?"


Over the last month or so, Manchester United fans have gone through another Transfer Saga Hell, the likes of Lucas Moura and Robin Van Persie, seem to be a case of Sneijder 2.0.Despite fans thinking that Moura would be on his way to Manchester, the boy decided (maybe his agent more than he..) to join PSG. If Twitter rumours are to be believed (which they normally shouldn’t be..), his contract seems astronomical for a player of such a tender age.  

I do try to be as objective as possible when writing, however in this specific entry, I must use my Manchester United supporting cap, as I have had *many* arguments over United’s interest in Lucas Moura, and I thought that now this particular saga has been put to bed, I’d give my light on the subject.

I am not the typical Glazer hating United fan, I mainly focus on the football rather than behind the scenes, as in my eyes, with Sir Alex at the helm, this club will always be stable, and I am no business-savvy lad who is able to go into the finances and debts of Manchester United. Over the last decade, the transfer window really has gone crazy, and it seems that as so many clubs such as Chelsea, Manchester City, Anzhi and PSG have been bought out by tycoons .. they will empty their pockets and give the club all the money they want to win, win and win. Despite Manchester United's dominance in this period, various fans (from all walks of life) have started to believe United are no longer in the financial state to compete in this market. As United have not made a huge signing in recent years, a certain amount of fans have become restless, and have suggested we throw our money at either the best players in Europe, or the biggest new thing. Some fans felt that Lucas Moura was this, but my concern is that a lot of these fans would not have seen Moura play at Sao Paulo. 

I will admit myself, I have never sat down and watched a Brazilian football league match in which Lucas Moura has played in, so my view on him is rather limited, yet I, as a guy who spends most of his waking hours discussing, playing and reading about football am surprised at this deal. The reported fee was €43m for a player who has never played in Europe, or in any sort of *major* tournament (to my belief). I am sure that Manchester United fans want the best for this club, and is risking this amount of money on a nineteen year old winger (whilst we have Valencia, Nani and Young), when there are other parts of this pitch where the club needs strengthening?

The club has already purchased Shinji Kagawa for £12m, a player who has won two Bundesliga titles and other accolades in Europe. I am sure Manchester United had been scouting Lucas Moura for a number of years and would have been willing to pay a substantial amount to the Brazilian club, yet I doubt Fergie would have gone any further, and PSG.. a club with drive, passion, and a pool of money would give the club ANYTHING for a potential world class talent.

I am not doubting the talent of Lucas Moura, and if the lad becomes the next best thing, I will join my fellow fans in our bitchy "F*ck sake Fergie, you should have signed him!" .. like there will be, but I feel that right now, the club does not need such a player, and if we sign a new centre midfielder and left back (probably for the amount Moura would have cost), we will be in a much stronger position. I wish nothing but good luck to Mister Moura in his pastures new a la Paris, but I feel United not signing him.. isn't a *loss*. Perhaps by the 1st September 2012, we may have signed one or two class players.. I hope so, but it won't be Lucas!  

No comments:

Post a Comment